Artificial intelligence (AI) refers to the simulation of human intelligence processed by machines that are programmed to think like humans and perfectly mimic their actions. Artificial Intelligence is the ability of a computer program to perform activities of the human mind such as decision-making, learning, and problem-solving. A characteristic of AI is in its ability to rationalize and take actions that’ll have the best chances of achieving a specific goal within the mentioned timeframe.
You may have read about Algorithms and flow charts on your computer classes, they are used for AI. Algorithms, a set of well-defined, computer-implementable instructions are provided to computing devices to complete a specific task. Specific applications of AI include Machine Learning, Robotics, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Expert Systems, voice recognition, Face Recognition, and Machine Vision.
Currently, there are 3 types of artificial intelligence (AI): narrow or weak AI, general or strong AI, and artificial superintelligence. Scientists have currently achieved narrow AI. The best example of AI includes Apple’s Siri, Alphabet’s Google Assistant, Amazon’s Alexa, Facebook’s facial recognition, Tesla, Ride-sharing Apps Like Uber or Lyft, AI Autopilot mode to name a few. AI is continuously evolving and progressing rapidly.
Every coin has two sides. There is probably no existence that only has benefits and no deficit at all. Although the idea of AI seems fascinating, it might not be as beneficial as it may look in a long term viewpoint, inevitably there will be negative consequences. It does come with enormous opportunities and threats that are difficult to predict. Here we will talk about the Good side and Bad side of AI.
Pros of AI
- Increases the speed of what can be accomplished
- Can take risks for Humans in cases of space exploration, disaster relief, etc
- Provides better performance than humans
- Decisions taken by a machine are based on a set of algorithms; which minimizes the risk
- Predicts what your customers will do next
- Make senses of all the connection and data around us
- It is diligent i.e. it doesn’t get tired or wear out easily and can aid humans 24/7, 365 days
- Ability to work in any risky situations
- Powers many inventions like more powerful and more useful computers with new and improved interfaces, solving new problems
- Better handling of information, relieving information overload and converting it into knowledge
- Ability to aid in prompt and accurate decision-making in a short span of time
Cons of AI
- The overall cost of implementing an Al machine is expensive; high initial investment makes it costly.
- Invasion of privacy and social grading as AI tracks and analyzes an individual’s every move online and offline, it’s very possible for those machines to use that information against you
- The dependency of humans on machines is ever-increasing making human lazy and incapable
- If AI algorithms are built with a bias or the data in the training sets is biased, they will produce a biased result
- With efficient and 24*7 Al & automation, human jobs will soon be replaced by machines in the future causing unemployment
- Machines cannot think creatively or out of the box and cannot perform tasks other than what they are made for
- Algorithms can manipulate our buying, selling patterns and transactions
- AI can further widen the gap between leaders and laggards, the rich and the poor, skilled and unskilled
- Although it makes less error still things could go wrong and it may malfunction
- Vulnerable to attack from malware, virus, etc. and can be misused as a nuclear weapon, terrorism
Humans have been successful in being a superior existence in this modern world. The idea that machines will become so highly developed that humans will not be able to keep up, is a little threatening to our existence. AI could potentially be very dangerous and its substantial progress could someday result in human extinction or some other unrecoverable global catastrophe. In general, if AI becomes “superintelligent”, then it could become difficult or impossible for humans to control it.
There is a reason to be cautious, but if managed properly the good can outweigh the bad. We as humans need to take care of that and use the positive sides of the invention to make the World a better place. In the near future, we are going to see more of these technologies as every tech giants are focusing on AI. It will not be an exaggeration to say it is going to be a trend in the future.